Wellfest 2018 was the 1st large scale zero waste event to happen on campus! We were able to achieve 99.6% waste diversion and we’re excited to do it again!
Why is this important?
As the campus strives to be zero waste by 2020, HDH Wellness and Engagement is doing its part in reducing its footprint on this planet by piloting at WellFest Zero Waste practices for large-scale campus events. UC San Diego has the ability and potential to lead the charge in the sustainability movement and shift towards a renewable future.
What are some of the challenges we face hosting a Zero Waste Event?
- Community Awareness
- Vendor Compliance
- Lack of Composting Waste Sites
- Consumer Waste-Sorting Confusion
How does our event Wellfest address these challenges?
- Educates our campus and community
- Provides a platform for sustainable organizations to share their message
- Initializes agreements with local and country resources for waste diversion
- Prioritizes socially responsible and sustainable business practices