Skip to main content
Housing for Incoming Undergraduates


Undergraduate Housing Wait List Contract Roommates/Room Assignment Move-in Info/What to Bring
General Questions Housing Guarantee Dining Plan Amenities/Services
Financial Aid/Billing

Undergraduate Housing Wait List

Once I submit my Housing Waitlist Application, how long will I be on the Housing Waitlist?

In the event a vacancy arises, students will be contacted the moment we are able to offer you a space. If you are not offered a space for the quarter in which you applied, you will need to reapply the following quarter. Your Housing Waitlist application does not roll over into the next quarter.


What if I was admitted to UC San Diego after the Housing Application deadline (May 7 for Incoming Freshmen, June 7 for Incoming Transfer)?

All students admitted to UC San Diego after the Housing Application deadline via the Admissions Waitlist or Admissions Appeals will be able to apply for housing for a limited time via

Back To FAQ ^


Is it possible to be released from my housing contract?

Prior to move-in/check-in (before you pick up your keys), you can cancel your housing contract by logging into the Housing Portal and submitting a cancellation form. Please be sure to review the Cancellation Policy so you are aware of our cancellation fees. 

Once you check-in and pick up your keys, you can no longer cancel your housing contract and must submit an early contract termination request. These are reviewed on a case by case basis and exceptions are usually only granted for extenuating circumstances. To begin the contract termination request process, please visit your Residential Life Office.

Per the housing contract you signed, you are financially responsible for your space through the term of the contract (end of the academic year) until you are approved for termination. If you are denied approval, you will be provided instructions on how to appeal.


Please Note: Cancelling or early termination of your housing contract will void your housing guarantee.

Back To FAQ ^

Room Assignment/Roommates

How is Housing assigned?

For Incoming Freshmen:

The Housing assignment is determined by the college of registration, room type preference and/or roommate requests. Students who complete the housing contract process will preference their room type in the summer.

First-year incoming freshmen students are housed at their college of registration whenever possible; however, enrollment fluctuations, college policies, and availability sometimes make it impossible. In these instances, students may be assigned to another Housing community on campus.

For Incoming Transfers:

First-year incoming transfer students are typically housed at The Village; however, enrollment fluctuations and availability sometimes make it impossible. In these instances, students may be assigned to another housing community on campus. Students who complete the housing contract process will preference their room type in the summer.

All on-campus residents will receive their specific room assignment details (roommate(s), building, floor-plan, double, triple, or single room) in late-August from the Residential Life Offices.

How does gender play a role in room assignments?

The official campus record of each student’s gender identity is maintained in TritonLink. Students may view and update their gender information through TritonLink. Changes made in TritonLink are updated in Student Housing through an automated process within 24 hours. Gender values maintained are:

Value Definition
Female (F) Female | Trans Female | Trans Woman
Male (M) Male | Trans Male | Trans Man
Unspecified (U) Unspecified | Nonbinary | Genderqueer | Gender NonConforming | Different Identity | Decline to State | Unreported

Currently, a student’s gender plays a role in determining their room and roommate(s) assignment. Students are assigned roommates of the same gender. For example:

  • a student with an F gender would be assigned to a bedroom with other F gender students
  • a student with an M gender would be assigned to a room with other M gender students
  • and a student with a U gender would be contacted by housing to make the most appropriate assignment given the gender of the person. 

When will I be notified of my room assignment and roommate(s)?

All on-campus residents will receive their specific room assignment details (roommate(s), building, floor-plan, double, triple, or single room) in late-August through their Housing Portal. Specific move-in information will be sent to students via their UCSD email from their college of registration. 

What should I do if my friend and I want to room together?

First-year Incoming Freshmen and Incoming Transfer students that complete their housing contract by the deadline will be able to submit roommate requests over the summer. More information will be available via the web in the early summer. One student will have the ability to start a group (the leader) and invite up to two other students to their room. Everyone in the group must accept the invitation, as roommate requests must be mutual. It is required that both (or all three people) must be of the same gender, of the same contract location, and of the same college of registration (for incoming freshmen). Roommate requests are not guaranteed, but the Residential Life Offices will make every effort to accommodate these if possible. Please contact your Residential Life Office with questions.

Back To FAQ ^

Move-In Information/What To Bring

When can I move in?

The housing contract begins Saturday, September 21, 2019; all information pertaining to move-in will be included in the welcome email that is scheduled to be sent to students in late-August.

Move-In Welcome Emails

Residential Life Offices will send out Move-in Welcome emails in late-August. Your welcome email will provide important information about move-in week and things to plan on. Contact your Residential Life Office with questions.

What should I bring?

Bring your own towels, pillow, a non-halogen desk lamp, fan, computer, power surge protector, and personal items (i.e. toiletries, first aid kit). As facilities vary on campus, see below for recommended items:

*Once students receive their room assignment in August, it’s a GREAT idea to check with roommates and figure out who will bring these larger items to share. Some residents like to purchase these items together once they move in.

Can I bring a refrigerator or microwave?

Yes, one small refrigerator is allowed in each room. It must be smaller than five cubic feet and have a safe UL-approved electrical system. Microwaves may also be brought. Check with roommates to make sure you don’t duplicate items.

Move-Out Information

Remember, at the end of the year you are responsible for removing all of the items you "move-in"! Donation bins, recycling, and trash dumpsters will be available. We do not offer storage on campus, but there are a variety of storage facilities available around campus if necessary. Keep this in mind when you're bringing items to campus in the fall!

Back To FAQ ^

Housing Guarantee

How do I secure and maintain my Housing guarantee?

Each incoming student is eligible for a two-year housing guarantee. To secure your housing guarantee, all admissions and housing application and contract deadlines must be met.

To maintain the housing guarantee, students must continuously reside on campus for the entire academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters, excluding summer) and must be a full-time enrolled student. Moving off-campus for any length of time other than quarter breaks, summer, military training/deployment, or a UC San Diego-sponsored exchange program voids the Housing guarantee.

Please note: Regents Scholars, Jacobs School of Engineering Scholars, Chancellor’s Scholars and Associates Scholars who meet all first-year incoming student deadlines are guaranteed twelve (12) consecutive academic year quarters in campus Housing as long as they continue to meet scholarship and Housing guarantee criteria. Moving off-campus for any length of time other than quarter breaks, summer, military training/deployment, or a UC San Diego-sponsored exchange program voids your Housing guarantee.

Back To FAQ ^



Should I bring a computer?

Having your own computer would be more convenient; however, computer labs are available throughout campus. Printing is also available. Please check with your Residential Life Office for computer lab locations.

Where can I do my laundry? How do I pay to do my laundry? 

Washers and dryers are conveniently located in or near each residential housing facility. Check with your specific Residential Life Office for locations or visit our Laundry page for detailed information.

You will need to deposit funds into your Triton Cash account in order to pay for laundry. A Triton Cash account will automatically be activated for all residents prior to move-in. To view your Triton Cash balance or make a deposit at any time, please visit the Online Card Office. If you haven’t already done so, you’ll need to set up an Online Card Office profile to access your Triton Cash Account. For more information about Triton Cash or the Online Card Office, please visit:

Will housekeeping clean my room?

All on-campus housing facilities include some level of cleaning service each week. Cleaning is limited to public areas including living rooms, dining rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Residents are responsible for the cleaning of their private sleeping areas. Vacuums are available at each Residential Life Office, but residents may consider bringing their own mini-vacuum.

Back To FAQ ^

General Questions

Do I need to have renters insurance for my campus living space?

Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you carry renters insurance to protect your personal property (such as computers and other valuables). Here is a link that is specifically designed for UC San Diego renters:

Can I stay on campus during Winter or Spring Breaks?

Residence halls are not open during Winter break. Students need to plan accordingly for this and should arrange alternate housing. Facility closure dates and times are listed in the Calendar found on the Housing Contracts page. Students don’t have to move-out their personal belongings but will not be able to access or reside in their space during Winter Break. Residence halls will be open during Spring Break and students will have full access during that time. Apartments are open during both break periods.

Apartments are open during both break periods.

If parents/guardians come to visit, where can they stay?

La Jolla offers many hotels; the Marriott, Radisson, and Hyatt have locations near the campus.

How can I get around campus?

Transportation and Parking Services offers numerous free campus shuttles to help students get around, both on and off-campus. Please visit their website for more information.

I am a new Incoming Freshmen/Transfer with a spouse/partner and/or children. Do you have housing for Undergraduate couples and families?

All student couples and families are housed in our Grad and Family communities. Contact our office at 858.534.4010 or for more information regarding the couples/family housing application/contract process.

Back To FAQ ^

Dining Plan

When do I select my Dining Plan?

All incoming residents will be asked to select a Dining Plan (from the available options, depending on their student status – first-year freshman/transfer versus continuing student) after they sign their housing contract. More information regarding the various dining plan options will be sent to all residents over the summer (July). Please Note: Having a dining plan is required for all students living on campus, it cannot be dropped, refunded, or transferred to Triton Cash.

Can I change my Dining Plan?

You will have an opportunity to change your dining plan at the beginning of Fall Quarter. Please log in to the Housing Portal for more information. After this time frame has passed, we will no longer allow any changes to the dining plan.

When does my Dining Plan expire?

As long as you live on campus for the entire term of your housing contract, your dining plan will remain active and rollover through Fall Quarter of the following academic year (i.e. 2019-20 residents will be able to use their dining plans through December 2020). If you are approved for early termination, your dining plan will expire on your approved contract termination date. 

Please note: We do prorate your housing and dining charges if you are approved for early termination. If you need to request a termination Please contact our office at or 858-534-4010 for more information.

I was approved for early termination. How does that affect my Dining Plan?

If you applied for early termination and were approved, your housing and dining will be prorated based on your approved contract termination date. This means that we’ll adjust your dining plan based on the total number of days you lived on campus. If you used more than that prorated amount, we’ll bill you for that extra over-usage. Your dining plan will remain active through your approved contract termination date and we’ll close your dining plan account after that.

How do I check my Dining Dollar balance? Can I purchase Additional Dining Dollars?

To view your dining dollar balance and purchase additional dining dollars, please visit our Online Card Office.  We recommend waiting until spending and eating patterns are established mid-year, since dining dollars are non-transferable, non-refundable, and may only be used at UC San Diego Dining Services locations.

Back To FAQ ^


How are Housing costs billed?

Residential housing costs are billed to the UC San Diego Statement, Housing charges can be found in the same location that UC Tuition and Education costs are billed along with any current or delinquent University Charges. Please refer to the Housing Cost & Payment Schedule which provides housing charge due dates. Please Note: housing and dining are billed together. You will not see a charge for your dining plan separate from your housing. 

What is the $20 activity fee?

The $20 activity fee is a one-time per academic year fee that is assessed to all residents. These funds are used by your Residential Life Staff to put programs for you to enhance your on-campus housing experience (i.e. movie/pizza nights, study sessions).

What is the $30 housing administrative fee?

The $30 housing administrative fee is a one-time per academic year fee that is assessed to all residents who choose to pay their housing charges in either monthly or quarterly installments.

I was approved for early termination. How does that affect my housing charges?

If you are approved for early termination, we’ll adjust both your housing and dining so you are only billed for the total number of days you lived on campus. Please keep in mind that per the housing contract you signed, we do not prorate the first two weeks or last two weeks of every single quarter. If your approved contract termination date falls within the first two weeks or the last two weeks of any quarter, you will be billed for those entire two weeks.

Where is my UCSD Student Billing Statement sent and how can I view it?

All statements will be emailed to the student's UC San Diego email account. If students wish to have their bills emailed to an additional address, visit TritonLink, select "Billing and Payment", then "Authorize a Parent/Payer".

Current Account Activity and Billing Statements can be viewed by students through their MyTritonLink Account.

How do I pay for Housing?

Please visit Ways to Pay Your Bill to review all forms of payment that are accepted by the University. 

All installments must be paid by the due date indicated on the e-statement and Housing Cost and Payment Schedule. Fees and/or charges not paid by this date are considered delinquent and are subject to a $20 late charge.

How can I change my Housing installment payment plan?

Changes to your housing installment payment plan can be made in mid-August. To make any changes, log into the Housing Portal and click “Update Housing Payment Plan.”  You can elect PAY IN FULL, QUARTERLY, or MONTHLY installments. Students who elect to pay quarterly or monthly are assessed a one-time $30 housing administrative fee.

Can financial aid be used to cover Housing costs?

Yes. The university applies financial aid to tuition costs and past due amounts first, second to Housing charges, and third to any other outstanding charges that may be due. If your University costs exceed the amount of financial aid available, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility. Please Note: We highly recommend that students who are receiving financial aid elect to pay QUARTERLY to help manage their financial aid disbursements.

May I use loan money towards Housing costs?

Yes, but only after you receive a promissory note from your lender. Remember to check the EFT box on your Financial Aid application. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 858-534-4480 if you have any questions about your loan application.

^ Back to Top

Contact Us