Skip to main content
Housing for Current Undergrad Residents


Housing Waitlist Contract Move-in Info/What to Bring
General Questions Dining Plan Amenities/Services
Financial Aid/Billing

Housing Waitlist

Once I submit my Housing Waitlist Application, how long will I be on the Housing Waitlist?

In the event a vacancy arises, students will be contacted the moment we are able to offer you a space. Please note: submitting a Housing Waitlist application does not guarantee you a space on campus. If you are not offered a space for the quarter in which you applied, you will need to reapply the following quarter. Your Housing Waitlist application does not roll over into the next quarter.

Back To FAQ ^


Is it possible to cancel/terminate my Housing contract?

Prior to move-in/check-in (before you pick up your keys), you can cancel your housing contract by logging into the Housing Portal and submitting a cancellation form. Please be sure to review the Cancellation Policy so you are aware of our cancellation fees. 

Once a student has checked-in/moved-in to their space, Contract Cancellations are no longer accepted. If a student has an extenuating circumstance necessitating a contract termination, they will need to login to the Housing Portal and submit a Housing Contract Termination Request form. The termination Request will be reviewed along with any accompanying documentation and a decision will be sent to the student within three (3) business days. Same day contract terminations are not available. Contract Termination Requests are granted for only very extenuating circumstances. Finding another apartment off-campus is not considered an extenuating circumstance and we advise students NOT to sign leases off-campus while they still hold an on-campus housing contract. Contract Termination requests must be approved before a student can move out of their space. Students will be financially responsible for their space until their contract termination request is approved AND they have completed the entire move-out process (which includes moving all of their belongings out of their space and turning in their keys).

Students who withdraw from the University must still complete a Housing Contract Termination Request form and provide accompanying documentation.

If a Housing Contract Termination Request is granted, the housing and dining dollars will be pro-rated based on when the student completes the move-out process which includes an approved contract termination, any residential housing move-out requirements and returning keys to the Residence Life Office. Any dining dollar over-usage will be charged to the student.

Does canceling/terminating my Housing contract affect my housing priority?

Students who are approved for cancellation or early contract termination in 2021-22 may be moved to a lower priority group for housing in the 2022-23 academic year.

Back To FAQ ^

Move-In Information/What To Bring

When can I move in?

Move-in information will be shared with all residents in late August.  

College Welcome Letters

The UC San Diego Res Life Offices will send out Welcome Letters late August/early September. Your Welcome Letter will provide you with important information about move-in week, things to plan on and where you can check your room assignment and roommate information. Contact your Res Life Office with questions.

What should I bring?

Bring your own towels, pillow, bedding to fit an extra-long twin bed (36" x 80"), a non-halogen desk lamp, fan, computer, power surge protector, and personal first aid kit.

Once you receive your room assignment in August, it’s a GREAT idea to check with roommates and figure out who will bring larger items to share. Some residents like to purchase items together once they move in. Examples include:

  • mini refrigerator (smaller than five cubic feet with a safe UL-approved electrical system)
  • microwave
  • iPod & MP3 Player
  • television
  • printer
  • mini-vacuum
  • Bike Lock – U Shaped (see UCPD website)

Can I bring a refrigerator or microwave?

Yes, one small refrigerator is allowed in each room. It must be smaller than five cubic feet and have a safe UL-approved electrical system. Microwaves may also be brought. Check with roommates to make sure you don’t duplicate items.

Move-Out Information

Remember, at the end of the year you are responsible for removing all of the items you "move-in"! Donation bins, recycling, and trash dumpsters will be available, but we do not offer storage on campus. Keep this in mind when you're bringing items to campus in the fall!

Back To FAQ ^


How can I get phone service?

Very few of our residents subscribe to a landline. If you would like to make arrangements for regular telephone service, please contact your Res Life Office for instructions. If you would like a phone and answering machine, be sure to bring them with you.

Are there computer labs available?

Computer labs are available throughout campus. Printing is also available. To find the computer lab closest to you, UC San Diego has an online Computer Lab Lookup tool available.

How do I pay to do my laundry?

Washers and dryers are conveniently located in or near each residential housing facility. Check with your specific Res Life Office for locations or visit our Laundry page for detailed information.

You will need to deposit funds into your Triton Cash account in order to pay for laundry. A Triton Cash account will automatically be activated for all residents prior to move-in. To view your Triton Cash balance or make a deposit at any time, please visit the Transact eAccounts Portal. If you haven’t already done so, you’ll need to set up an Online Card Office profile to access your Triton Cash Account. For more information about Triton Cash or the Online Card Office, please visit:

Will housekeeping clean my room?

All on-campus Housing facilities include some level of cleaning service each week. Cleaning is restricted to public areas including living rooms, dining rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Residents are responsible for the cleaning of their private sleeping areas and taking out their trash. 

Back To FAQ ^

General Questions

Do I need to have renters insurance for my campus living space?

Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you carry renters insurance to protect your personal property (such as computers and other valuables). Here is a link that is specifically designed for UC San Diego renters:


If parents come to visit, where can they stay?

La Jolla offers many hotels; the Marriott, Radisson, and Hyatt have locations near the campus.

How can I get around campus?

Transportation and Parking Services offers numerous free campus shuttles to help students get around, both on and off-campus. Please visit their website for more information.

Do you have housing for Undergraduate couples and families?

All student couples and students with children are housed in our Graduate and Family communities. Contact our office at 858-534-4010 or for more information regarding the couples/family housing application process.

How do I obtain a housing verification (for Cal-Fresh, Off-campus lease, DMV, or Bank)?

Students may request a housing verification by either sending an email (including Name, PID, and reason for request) to

Back To FAQ ^

Dining Plan

When do I select my Dining Plan?

All current residents will be asked to select a Dining Plan during the housing contract process. More information regarding the various Dining Plan options will be sent to all residents prior to contracting.

Can I change my Dining Plan?

You will have an opportunity to change your dining plan in late August. More information will be emailed to students in late-August. 

When does my Dining Plan expire?

As long as you live on campus for the entire term of your housing contract, your dining plan will remain active and roll over through Fall Quarter of the following academic year (i.e. 2021-22 residents will be able to use their dining plans through Finals Week of Fall Quarter in December 2022).

Please note: If you are approved for early termination, your dining plan will not roll over. It will be prorated based on the date you are approved for early contract termination and complete the entire move out process. Your dining dollars will expire on your approved contract termination date. 

I was approved for early termination. How does that affect my Dining Plan?

If you applied for early termination and were approved, your housing and dining will be prorated based on your approved contract termination date. This means that we’ll adjust your dining plan based on the total number of days you lived on campus. If you used more than that prorated amount, we’ll bill you for that extra over-usage. Your dining plan will remain active through your approved contract termination date and we’ll close your dining plan account after that.

Please note: There is no proration in the first two weeks and last two weeks of every quarter. Students who are approved for early termination during these time frames will be billed for the entire two weeks. 

Am I required to have a Dining Plan?

Students residing in our college housing communities (Revelle, Muir, Marshall, ERC, Warren, Sixth, and Seventh) are required to have a dining plan. The Dining Plan cannot be changed, dropped, refunded, or transferred to Triton Cash.  

Students residing in The Village at Pepper Canyon East and West and The Rita will not be required to have a dining plan.

How do I check my Dining Dollar balance? 

To view your Dining Dollar balance and purchase additional Dining Dollars, please visit our Transact eAccounts Portal. Please note: You may purchase additional Dining Dollars at any time. We recommend waiting until spending and eating patterns are established mid-year, since Dining Dollars are non-transferable, non-refundable, and may only be used at UC San Diego Dining Services locations.

Back To FAQ ^


How are Housing fees billed?

Residential Housing fees are billed in the UC San Diego Statement, Housing charges can be found in the same location that UC Tuition and Education Fees are billed along with any current or delinquent University Charges. Housing also has a Housing Cost & Payment Schedule which serves as a reminder of future Housing Charge due dates.

What is the $30 housing administrative fee?

The $30 housing administrative fee is a one-time per academic year fee that is assessed to all residents who choose to pay their housing charges in either monthly or quarterly installments.

What is the $20 activity fee?

The $20 activity fee is a one-time per academic year fee that is assessed to all residents. These funds are used by your Res Life Staff to put programs for you to enhance your on-campus housing experience (i.e. movie/pizza nights, study sessions).

I was approved for early termination. How does that affect my housing charges?

If you are approved for early termination, we’ll adjust both your housing and dining so you are only billed for the total number of days you lived on campus. Please keep in mind that per the housing contract you signed, we do not prorate the first two weeks or last two weeks of every single quarter. If your approved contract termination date falls within the first two weeks or last two weeks of any quarter, you will be billed for those entire two weeks

Where is my UCSD Student Billing Statement sent?

All statements will be emailed to your UC San Diego email account. If you wish to have your bills emailed to an additional address, visit TritonLink, select "Billing and Payment", then "Authorize a Parent/Payer".

How do I pay for Housing?

Please visit Ways to Pay Your Bill to review all forms of payment that are accepted by the University. 

All installments must be paid by the due date indicated on the e-statement and Housing Cost and Payment Schedule. Fees and/or charges not paid by this date are considered delinquent and are subject to a $20 late charge.

How can I change my Housing installment payment plan?

Changes to your housing installment payment plan can be made in late-August/early September. To make any changes, log into the Housing Portal and submit a “Housing Installment Payment Plan Change.” You can elect to PAY IN FULL, QUARTERLY, or MONTHLY installments. Students who elect to pay quarterly or monthly are assessed a one-time $30 housing administrative fee.

Can financial aid be used to cover Housing payments?

Yes. The university applies your financial aid first to tuition fees and past due amounts, second to Housing charges, and third to any other outstanding charges that may be due. If your University fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.


^ Back to Top

Contact Us