Skip to main content
Dining Services

Dining Dollars FAQ

UC San Diego Dining Services—we’re here to plan, cook, and clean… so you can concentrate on college!

How It Works Usage Guidelines Adding Dining Dollars Community Dining Plan
Dining Dollar Program Early Termination Lost Card Meal Authorization
Food Safety Incident Form Terms and Conditions

How it Works

Dining Dollars are linked to your campus ID card, and can be used in all Dining Services restaurants and markets. Each purchase is automatically deducted from your account balance- like a bank debit card. The various Dining Plans are designed to be flexible and low cost, and will not support 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.

If you have not yet selected your Dining Plan, please visit the Housing Contract page.

Adding Dining Dollars

Residents can add Dining Dollars to their plan throughout the year—this way, you will have an idea of your eating habits before you add funds.

Can I Contribute Dining Dollars to Others?

Dining Dollar contributions are available during Spring Quarter from April 15th - June 8th. A student may contribute his/her Dining Dollars to another student’s existing Dining Dollar account, as long as the contribution does not place the cardholder’s balance below the minimum balance for that week. The online form will indicate the balance that cardholders must maintain for that date based on their room type (i.e. Res Hall vs Apt) and Dining Plan. Dining Dollar Contributions are subject to verification and may take as long as one business day to process.

Applications for contribution that have insufficient funds will be contacted by Triton Card Account Services.

Remember, Dining Dollars (including contributions) expire at the end of the following academic year’s fall quarter.

Students are encouraged to contribute and receive Dining Dollars in a safe and secure manner. The Dining Dollar Contribution website is the only assured method of swapping Dining Dollars to other students. Dining Dollar Contributions are subject to verification and may take as long as one business day to process. Please visit the Online Card Office to verify balances if there is any doubt.


Important Information Regarding Early Termination of Housing Contract and Dining Dollar Usage

In unique circumstances, such as:

Students may need to terminate their Housing contract. Prior to cancellation, it is important that you understand the Dining Dollar proration policy and your financial responsibility for over-usage.

You may contact Triton Card Account Services at any time to check the status of your Dining Dollar Account and to discuss the financial impact of contract termination.


I Lost my Campus ID Card

Keeping your Campus Card safe is your responsibility. If it is lost or stolen, contact the Triton Card Account Services immediately at 858.534.7587 or go to the Online Card Office to report it missing. Your account will be frozen to prevent unauthorized use. IMPORTANT: You may be liable for purchases made before your account is frozen, so please act quickly. Telephone notification must be confirmed promptly by the account holder in person or in writing.

With a valid photo ID (like a driver's license), Triton Card Account Services will issue you a temporary card for a week to access your Dining Plan and Triton Cash. If your Campus Card is still missing, you'll need to purchase a new one at the SBS (Student Billing Services) Office.

Can My Friend Purchase a Meal For Me With My Dining Dollars?

You are the only person authorized to use your Dining Plan or Triton Cash Account. Your college Residential Life Office may discipline you for using another person's account.

In the event you are ill and / or injured and unable to go into a restaurant to get food, please contact We can assist you with your request.

Food Safety Incident Form

If you feel you have had a food related incident in one of our facilities, please let us know by filling out this form.

Terms and Conditions I Agree to by Using the Dining Plan

All customers are expected to display proper, decent behavior in Dining Services facilities. Food throwing, hitting, biting, scratching, indecent exposure, excessive or loud vulgarity, etc. is absolutely unacceptable. The individual Dining Services restaurant or the College may discipline you for such actions.

Contact Us