Skip to main content

Health and Wellness FAQ

What if I have a Medically Documented Allergy?

If your allergy is medically documented, please register with the Office for Students with Disabilities. You can then start filling out the intake forms and gathering the necessary medical documentation. It’s very important that your documentation addresses your current, functional limitations particularly as they pertain to an academic setting.

Food Safety Incident Form

If you feel you have had a food related incident in one of our facilities, please let us know by filling out this form.

What Happens After I contact OSD?

Once approved, you will receive a copy of your AFA letter. It is very important to return this signed letter to the HDH Dietitian. The dietitian will then contact you to set up a time to meet. You will choose a restaurant that is close to your dorm or classes, meet the chefs and the management, and review your meal options.

Once you’ve met with the dietitian and the restaurant staff, you’re all set! You just need to call ahead to have your specialty meal prepared for pick up.

The markets can accommodate your dietary needs as well—be sure to ask the HDH Dietitian.

UCSD Resources for Individuals Practicing a Vegan or Vegetarian Diet

What is Gluten?

Gluten is the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley which acts like a glue and helps food maintain shape. Oats are usually processed in facilities that also handle gluten-containing ingredients, so unless they specifically say "Gluten Free", oats also likely contain gluten. Normally eating gluten should not be a problem, but for those with Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance, consuming gluten can cause a lot of gastrointestinal issues.

Gluten Friendly on Campus

Gluten Free Menu ItemAvoiding gluten on campus is a lot easier than you think if you plan ahead! Check out the HDH Dining menus (our online menus are labeled so it’s easy to find gluten friendly options). Our markets also have gluten friendly options available.

Look for this orange symbol next to menu items indicating that particular item is gluten friendly!

Allergen and nutrition information posted on our website may not always be accurate or update to date. Please ask our staff for additional information if you have food allergies, and contact with any questions you may have. All Dining locations process ingredients with known allergens, and we cannot guarantee any items are allergen free.

Student Personal Wellness Program

When I sign up, do I have to sign up for both a fitness testing time and class time?

Yes, you will take a fitness test before your first session of class. After that, you will go to class one hour per week at the time you signed up. On week 6 of class, you will be assessed again to see how much you have improved throughout the quarter.

Where does the class meet?

The class meets at the Wellness Center located on the bottom floor of RIMAC gym.

What should I do if I want to drop the class or sign up for a different time?

Email if you want to drop the class or sign up for a different time.

HDH Adventures

Can my friend who lives off campus sign up for an adventure with me?

Unfortunately, your friend cannot sign up for an adventure if they do not live on campus. Since HDH Adventures is a subsidized program, we cannot allow those who are not HDH customers to sign up for these trips.

Will equipment be provided for each trip?

Yes, Outback Adventures provides all necessary equipment for all of our trips. You might need to rent additional equipment that you can also find at Outback Adventures for certain trips. Each overnight trip has a meeting a few days preceding the trip where they go over all the things you will need, so you will know whether you need to rent something or if it will be provided to you.

Will food be provided on each trip?

All meals are provided on overnight trips, but we suggest that you bring additional snacks. On day trips, snacks are sometimes provided, but we also suggest you carry your own snacks.

What should I do if I cannot attend the trip I signed up for anymore?

If you can no longer attend a trip, email Depending on how close the trip is to the date you notify us about being unable to attend, you may or may not get a full refund.

What is the difference between an HDH Adventure and an Outback Adventure?

HDH Adventures specifically caters to students who live on campus whereas Outback Adventures is for all UCSD students. Outback Adventures’ guides still lead HDH Adventures trips, but they help build community among those who live on campus, educate on ways to live sustainably and introduce local activities. In addition, HDH Adventures trips are subsidized for students who live on campus.

Mental Health

How can I participate in the TRITONS art installation?

You can walk up to the letters of the TRITONS art installation and find a folder that contains all the supplies you will need to write and tie a note onto the art installation.

What resources can I use to address my mental health?

Please redirect to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Call 858.534.3755 for an appointment or crisis counseling. Call 911 for emergencies.

Family Wellness

What age range does the baby wellness class cater?

0-12 years old.

Can I attend if I am going to be a parent soon?

Yes, we have classes that are specific to prenatal care.

Contact Us