Graduate and Professional Students
UC San Diego, Associated Residential Community Housing (ARCH) offers housing to eligible graduate and professional students in seven residential communities:
Our communities are designed to house single graduate and professional students and students residing with a partner or spouse, with the exception of the Single Graduate Apartments which offers housing to single graduate and professional students only. It is intended that these communities be your primary residence.
Students are eligible if: they are currently enrolled, have formally accepted the UC San Diego Offer of Admission, or have submitted their intent to matriculate. Residents must maintain full-time status, enrolled in at least twelve units each quarter, in courses leading to a degree granted by UC San Diego.
Students are NOT eligible if: they are working toward their second Bachelor’s degree, second Masters’ degree, post-doctorate degree, or in the Extension or Limited Status programs.
Spouses and partners are eligible to reside in the Mesa Residential, One Miramar Street, and Coast Apartments, upon submitting a valid marriage certificate or written documentation of any two of the following arrangements:
- joint ownership of a motor vehicle
- an insurance policy held by one partner that names the other as a beneficiary
- a will on behalf of one partner that names the other a beneficiary
- executor or durable power of attorney granted by one partner to the other
- joint responsibility for loans/debts (i.e., credit cards)
- joint ownership of property
- joint checking or savings account
- a contractual financial arrangement that obligates each of the two parties to provide support, and in the event of termination of the partnership, provides for an equitable division of any joint property
- previous recognition as partners under the policies of another university, company, or municipality, city or state registry
- legal recognition as a family by an outside entity such as a church community
- or other documentation may be submitted for consideration
If a student’s partner or spouse plans to reside away from the residence for more than one quarter, then the student must find an eligible roommate during the partner's/spouse’s absence.
Falsification of any information regarding partner and dependent eligibility will result in termination of housing. Couples agree to notify the Housing Office of any change in the status of the partnership within (30) thirty days of change (includes death, marriage, and divorce) or in advance if the couple decides to pursue separate living arrangements.