Undergraduate Student Couples
UC San Diego, Associated Residential Community Housing (ARCH) offers housing to eligible undergraduate students residing with a partner or spouse in the Coast Apartments, Mesa Residential, One Miramar Street, and Rita Atkinson Residences. Spouses and partners are eligible to reside in Coast Apartments, Mesa Residential, One Miramar Street, and Rita Atkinson Residences upon submitting a valid marriage certificate or written documentation of any two of the following arrangements:
- joint ownership of a motor vehicle
- an insurance policy held by one partner that names the other as a beneficiary
- a will on behalf of one partner that names the other as a beneficiary
- executor or durable power of attorney granted by one partner to the other
- joint responsibility for loans/debts (i.e., credit cards)
- joint ownership of property
- joint checking or savings account
- a contractual financial arrangement that obligates each of the two parties to provide support, and in the event of termination of the partnership, provides for an equitable division of any joint property
- previous recognition as partners under the policies of another university, company, or municipality, city or state registry
- legal recognition as a family by an outside entity such as a church community
- or other documentation may be submitted for consideration
If a student’s partner or spouse plans to reside away from the Coast Apartments, Mesa Residential, One Miramar Street, and Rita Atkinson Residences for more than one quarter, then the student must find an eligible roommate during the partner's/spouse’s absence. It is intended that these communities be your primary residence.
Students who are currently enrolled, have formally accepted the UC San Diego Offer of Admission, or have submitted their intent to matriculate may apply. Students are not eligible for housing if they are working toward their second Bachelor’s degree or in the Extension or Limited Status programs. Residents must maintain full-time status, enrolled in at least twelve units each academic quarter, in courses leading to a degree granted by UC San Diego.
Falsification of any information regarding partner and dependent eligibility will result in termination of housing. Couples agree to notify the Housing Office of any change in the status of the partnership within (30) thirty days of change (includes death, marriage, and divorce) or in advance if the couple decides to pursue separate living arrangements.