Our website uses Javascript to enhance the visitor experience. Unfortunately your browser has disabled scripting. Please go to your browser settings and enable scripting in order enjoy the best possible experience. Thank You!

Housing for Incoming Freshmen

Frequently Asked Questions

Application process Roommates/Room assignment Move-in info/What to bring General questions
Housing guarantee Dining plan Amenities/Services Financial aid/Billing
2015-16 Housing Calendar

The Application Process

When should I apply for Housing?

You should apply for Housing online as soon as you receive your admit letter, usually mid- to late-March. There is no fee to apply and no penalty if you decide not to attend UC San Diego, so we highly recommend you apply before you decide to attend OR submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). The deadline to apply for Housing is May 1, 2015.

After applying online, am I done with the Housing process?

No. It is your responsibility to ensure that all housing and admissions deadlines are met, including:

What if I am admitted to UC San Diego after the May 1 Housing Application and Statement of Intent to Register deadline?

Guarantees for on-campus Housing are given only to admitted students who submit a Housing application by May 1 and meet all housing deadlines. Those admitted after May 1 will not receive a Housing guarantee. The Housing Waitlist will open mid-July.

Should you wish to live off campus, the Off Campus Housing Website has listings of nearby rentals and roommate options.

How long will I be on the housing wait list?

Although we anticipate being at full capacity for Fall 2015, we will still open a housing waitlist mid-July. In the event a vacancy arises, students will be contacted the moment we are able to offer you a space. If you have not been offered a space by mid-August, please actively pursue off-campus housing.

What happens if I miss a deadline?

Deadlines are firm and there are no exceptions. Be sure to apply well in advance. If you miss the Statement of Intent to Register or Housing Application deadlines, you will not receive the Housing Contract Instructional E-mail.

What if I am a Transfer student?

Incoming transfer students for Fall 2015 have a separate application deadline. Incoming transfer students must apply for a space at The Village at Torrey Pines by June 1. Applications for The Village at Torrey Pines will begin March 2015 at http://myapplication.ucsd.edu and are available only to admitted students. Please visit The Village website for more information.

How will I receive my Housing contract email with instructions?

In late May, all eligible first-year students will be emailed instructions on how to access the Housing Contract information online. You will be directed to a website to fill out your emergency contact information, personal history form, electronically sign the Housing Contract, and submit the $650 prepayment. Please keep in mind that you may not receive this email if your Housing application is received after the Housing Application deadline or if you fail to submit your SIR by May 1. Call Housing Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 if you do not receive the instructional email by June 9, 2015.

How will I pay the $650.00 prepayment?

You may pay the $650 housing prepayment via E-Check or paper check. Please note: this is the fourth step and completes the housing contract process. The $650 housing prepayment cannot be paid via your student account on TritonLink. If you choose to pay via E-Check, you will be directed to a secure third-party site. If you prefer to pay the $650 housing prepayment with a paper check, please choose the “Pay By Coupon” option during the last step of the contract process.

What should I do if I don’t receive the Housing contract email?

Students who meet the May 1 Housing Application and the May 1 SIR deadline will receive an instructional email at their UC San Diego email account in late-May. It is your responsibility to contact Housing Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 if you have not received this instructional email by June 9.

What if I am away from my UCSD email account when the Housing contract email is sent?

If you will be away from your UCSD email account for any period of time, arrange for someone to open your email and meet all deadlines for you.

What if I have a name or address change?

It is your responsibility to inform the Office of Admissions at 858.534.4831 and Housing Administrative Services at 858.534.4010 of name and/or address changes.

How is Housing assigned?

Your Housing assignment is determined by your Housing application date, college of registration, AND room type preference. All of these factors play a role in determining if you are placed in your college of registration, tripled, or wait-listed.

First-year incoming freshmen students are housed at their college of registration whenever possible; however, enrollment fluctuations, college policies, and availability sometimes make it impossible. In these instances, students may be offered a Housing space elsewhere on campus.

You will receive your specific room assignment details (roommate(s), building, floor-plan, double, triple, or single room) in early September from the Residential Life Office of the college where you will be living.

Is it possible to be released from my Housing contract?

If you wish to cancel your Housing contract during the summer months before you take occupancy, the answer is YES. Please read the Cancellation Policy. Make sure that you locate your category on the bottom half of the Cancellation Policy for New Incoming Freshman Fall 2015.

If you wish to terminate your Housing contract after move in or during the academic year, the process begins with your Residential Life Office. If you are denied release, you will be instructed on how to appeal. If you are granted a housing contract release because you are withdrawing from the University please communicate with both your College Academic Advising Office and your Residential Life Office.

Back To FAQ ^

Room Assignment/Roommates

When will I be notified of my room assignment and roommate(s)?

College Residential Life Offices send out a welcome letter via email in early September with important move-in information including the link to access your room assignment, mailbox number, and roommate information online.

What should I do if my friend and I want to room together?

First-year Incoming Freshmen students that complete their Housing contract by June 30, 2015 will be able to submit roommate requests online beginning in early July. Emails will be sent to your UC San Diego email account with detailed instructions. Roommate requests must be mutual, and be submitted by both parties. It is required that both (or all three people) must be of the same gender, of the same contract location, and of the same college of registration. Roommate requests are not guaranteed, but the Residential Life Offices will make every effort to accommodate these if possible. Please contact your College Residential Life Office with questions.

Back To FAQ ^

Move-In Information/What To Bring

When can I move in?

Your Housing contract begins Saturday, September 19, 2015; all information pertaining to move-in will be included in the welcome letter that is scheduled to be mailed/emailed to students in early September.

College Welcome Letters

The 6 UC San Diego College Residential Life Offices will send out Welcome Letters early September. Some will be sent via email and some will be mailed a paper welcome letter. Your Welcome Letter will provide you with important information about move-in week, things to plan on and where you can check your room assignment and roommate information. Contact your College Residential Life Office with questions.

What is the “Satisfaction First” Policy?

We stand behind our Housing and Dining program 100%, which is why we offer first-year incoming freshmen students and incoming transfer students a unique guarantee of their “Satisfaction First!” If, after you pick up your key and move into your Housing space you decide that living on campus is not for you, you have until 4pm on September 22, 2015 to terminate your housing contract. You will receive a full refund of your Residential Housing payment, less Dining Plan over usage and any early move-in charges, and be charged a $100 administrative fee.

What should I bring?

Bring your own towels, pillow, bedding to fit an extra-long twin bed (36" x 80"), a non-halogen desk lamp, fan, computer, power surge protector, and personal first aid kit.

Once you receive your room assignment in September, it’s a GREAT idea to check with roommates and figure out who will bring larger items to share. Some residents like to purchase items together once they move in. Examples include:

  • mini refrigerator (smaller than five cubic feet with a safe UL-approved electrical system)
  • microwave
  • iPod & MP3 Player
  • television
  • printer
  • mini-vacuum

Can I bring a refrigerator or microwave?

Yes, one small refrigerator is allowed in each room. It must be smaller than five cubic feet and have a safe UL-approved electrical system. Microwaves may also be brought. Check with roommates to make sure you don’t duplicate items.

Move-Out Information

Remember, at the end of the year you are responsible for removing all of the items you "move-in"! Donation bins, recycling, and trash dumpsters will be available, but we do not offer storage on campus. Keep this in mind when you're bringing items to campus in the fall!

Back To FAQ ^

Housing Guarantee

What is the Housing guarantee?

All first-year incoming freshmen admitted to UC San Diego in Fall 2015 are eligible for guaranteed Housing space for two years (six consecutive academic year quarters, beginning with Fall 2015 and excluding summers). First-year incoming freshmen are defined as new students entering UC San Diego in the fall, directly from high school.

How do I secure and maintain my housing guarantee?

To secure this Housing guarantee, all Admissions and Housing deadlines must be met.

To maintain your housing guarantee, you must continuously reside on campus for the entire academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarter, excluding summer). Moving off campus for any length of time other than quarter breaks, summer, or a UC San Diego-sponsored exchange program voids your Housing guarantee.

Please note: Regents Scholars, Jacobs School of Engineering Scholars and Chancellor’s Entering Freshmen Scholars who meet all first-year incoming freshmen student deadlines are guaranteed twelve consecutive academic year quarters in campus Housing as long as they continue to meet scholarship and Housing guarantee criteria. Moving off campus for any length of time other than quarter breaks, summer, or a UC San Diego-sponsored exchange program voids your Housing guarantee.

Back To FAQ ^


How can I get phone service?

You may want to consider cellular phone service for your primary line. Very few of our residents subscribe to a land line. If you would like to make arrangements for regular telephone service, please contact your Residential Life Office for instructions. If you would like a phone and answering machine, be sure to bring them with you.

If I don’t bring a computer, am I at a disadvantage?

Having your own computer would be more convenient; however, computer labs are available throughout campus. Printing is also available. Please check with your Resident Advisor for computer lab locations.

Where can I do my laundry?

Washers and dryers are conveniently located in or near each residential Housing facility. Check with your specific college of residence for locations or visit http://hdh.ucsd.edu/housing/laundry.asp for detailed information.

Will housekeeping clean my room?

All on-campus Housing facilities include some level of cleaning service each week. Cleaning is restricted to public areas including living rooms, dining rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Residents are responsible for the cleaning of their private sleeping areas. Vacuums are available at each Residential Life Office, but residents may consider bringing their own mini-vacuum.

Back To FAQ ^

General Questions

Do I need to have renters insurance for my campus living space?

Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you carry renters insurance to protect your personal property (such as computers and other valuables). Here is a link that is specifically designed for UC San Diego renters: https://www.gradguard.com/school-search

Can I stay on campus during Winter or Spring Break?

Students are not allowed to stay in the residence halls during break. However, apartment residents may stay on campus during this time.

If parents come to visit, where can they stay?

La Jolla offers many hotels; the Marriott, Radisson, and Hyatt have locations near the campus.

How can I get around campus?

Transportation and Parking Services offers numerous free campus shuttles to help students get around, both on and off campus. Please visit their website for more information.

Back To FAQ ^

Dining Plan

Can I change or cancel my Dining Plan?

Our Housing and Dining plan is a comprehensive room and board program. The Dining Plan cannot be changed, dropped, refunded, or transferred to Triton Cash.

Can I purchase additional Dining Dollars?

You may purchase additional Dining Dollars at a bulk discount rate through the Triton Card Accounts Office with check or credit card. Parents may deposit funds in their student’s account; however, we recommend waiting until spending and eating patterns are established mid-year, since Dining Dollars are non-transferable, non-refundable, and may only be used at UC San Diego Dining Services locations.

Back To FAQ ^


How are Housing fees billed?

Residential Housing fees are billed in the UC San Diego Statement, http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu. Housing charges can be found in the same location that UC Tuition and Education Fees are billed along with any current or delinquent University Charges. Housing also has a Housing Cost & Payment Schedule which serves as a reminder of future Housing Charge due dates.

Where is my UCSD Student Billing Statement sent?

All statements will be emailed to your UC San Diego email account. If you wish to have your bills emailed to an additional address, visit http://tritonlink.ucsd.edu/.

How do I pay for Housing?

The University’s website offers electronic check (E-check) payments online. This form of payment is fast, secure, and posts to the student’s account immediately.

At this time, credit cards are not accepted.

All installments are due and payable by the last day of the payment due date indicated on the e-statement and Housing Cost and Payment Schedule. Fees and/or charges not paid by this date are considered delinquent and are subject to a $23 late charge.

How can I change my Housing installment payment plan?

To change your housing installment payment plan, send a written request to housinginfo@ucsd.edu. Be sure to include your Name, PID, and your request to change your current installment payment plan to PAY IN FULL, QUARTERLY, or MONTHLY. All students who elect to pay quarterly or monthly are assessed a one-time $30 housing administrative fee.

Can financial aid be used to cover Housing payments?

Yes. The university applies your financial aid first to tuition fees and past due amounts, second to Housing charges, and third to any other outstanding charges that may be due. If your University fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.

Is the $650 housing prepayment covered by financial aid?

No, since financial aid is not disbursed until late September, you are responsible for paying your Residential Housing prepayment from your own resources by the June 30 deadline.

Will my financial aid cover all college expenses?

Very few students receive enough aid to cover all expenses. If your University fees exceed the amount of financial aid, any outstanding charges are the student’s financial responsibility.

May I use loan money towards Housing?

Yes, but only after you receive a promissory note from your lender. Remember to check the EFT box on your Financial Aid application. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 858-534-4480 if you have any questions about your loan application.

^ Back to Top

Important Dates